After more than a year of (paid) work, DB-ALLe has been released!
DB-All.e is a fast, temporary, on-disk database where meteorological data can be stored, searched, retrieved and updated. To make computation easier, data is stored as physical data, that is, as measures of a variable in a specific point of space and time, rather than as a sequence of report.
These are the main characteristics of DB-ALLe:
- it is temporary, to be used for a limited time and then be deleted.
- does not need backup, since it only contains replicated or derived data.
- write access is enabled for its users.
- it is fast for both read and for write access.
- it is based on physical principles, that is, the data it contains are defined in terms of omogeneous and consistent physical data. For example, it is impossible for two incompatible values to exist in the same point in space and time.
- it can manage fixed station and moving stations such as airplanes or ships.
- it can manage both observational and forecast data.
- it can manage data along all three dimensions in space, such as data from soundings and airplanes.
- it can work based on physical parameters or on report types.
Copyright (C) 2005,2006 ARPA-SIM email@example.com
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License
Oh, and they make an outstanding weather forecast, the best you can find for my region. It's so good that people even started to trust them! :)